Azusa Pacific University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Experiential Learning Manager - Career Center
at Azusa Pacific University
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
The Experiential Learning Manager (ELM) is responsible for all programs, resources, and services supporting the academic needs of students and alumni. This position manages the oversight and development of internship opportunities, programs, resources, and services, in partnership with academic departments while exploring new experiential learning opportunities for students and alumni. The ELM manages the Community Advancement Programs, and supervises various student staff. The position reports to the Director of the Career Center.
- Bachelor's Degree Required, Masters degree in education, business, leadership or related field preferred.
- Relevant knowledge regarding experiential learning with related concepts, methodologies and emerging trends/high impact practices.
- Experience working within diverse educational environments (classroom, field-based, etc.)
- Proven track record developing and strengthening collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and community partners.
- Strong evidence of program and people management experience.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- People Management
- Supervise Program Specialist and various student staff.
- Experiential Learning Resources and Program Development
- Partner with the Director and Professional Development Partnerships Manager (PDPM) to coordinate experiential learning opportunities for students and alumni.
- Coordinate career treks and field visits, in collaboration with the PDPM, to promote internship, fellowship, and apprenticeship opportunities for students and alumni.
- Develop and maintain relevant policies and procedures for ensuring the academic quality and integrity of internships.
- Maintain regular communication with all internship and applied experiential learning course faculty.
- Develop an internship manual and promotional material, updating as needed.
- Research current trends and high-impact practices for experiential learning opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Create and maintain Experiential Learning Grants, providing different funding streams for students, alumni and faculty to further research and support for experiential learning.
- Community Advancement Programs (CAP) Management
- Provide oversight and management of daily operations, with staff support.
- Provide leadership, strategic planning and implementation to guarantee the 7% federal minimum level of community work study as required by the Department of Education.
- Responsible for knowing, implementing and interpreting policies and procedures that align with the University Counsel, Community Relations and Undergraduate Student Financial Services Departments.
- Create and ensure the value, validity, dissemination and usefulness of all evaluation processes including all student employees and community partners.
- Conduct research on the processes and outcomes of all programs for improvement of program operations and publication that advances the field of community work study.
- Publicize the program success and special events of community work study programs through such avenues as University Relations and Community Relations departments.
- Gain recognition of university’s community work study programs while learning from colleagues at other recognized universities through reciprocal sharing of best practices
- Community Relations Activities:
- Represent the Center and the University at city events and programs, as needed.
- Research, prioritize and meet community needs in order to ensure maximum impact of linkages between APU and the community taking into account each party’s needs, goals and available recourses.
- On-going program expansion and development of new programs (e.g. Boys on the Move, additional offerings for business and marketing majors, etc.)
- Recruit, educate and support new community partners in order to establish mutually beneficial and sustainable partnerships through community work study.
- Develop and monitor appropriate networks for ongoing communication with all community partners.
- Maintains direct responsibility for daily management, oversight and development of 13 major existing community work study programs: Azusa Reads, Azusa Writes, Azusa Counts, Ready Runners, Classroom Assistants, Azusa Calculates, W.I.N., BOKS, Our Neighborhood Homework House, Computer Lab Tutoring, Girls on the Move, Kids on the Move and THINK Together.
- Manage recruitment and onboarding of student staff, including undergraduate interns and graduate assistants.
- Research and submit ongoing grant applications to procure new program funding.
- Attend program, department and community building events as needed.
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Undergraduate Student Financial Services to implement the Federal Work Study finances.
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Assess and evaluate the effectiveness of all experiential learning programs, resources, and services.
- Regularly provide data-driven recommendations to the Director on continued improvement Prepares assessment reports for distribution to schools/departments and senior administrative leadership related to internship programs as a high impact practice at APU
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate a career consulting conversation with students and alumni, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate a career development session with small groups.
- Exceptionally strong and proven organizational skills.
- Highly-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with different clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive assessment plan for all experiential learning programs, resources, and services.
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate information and make verbal or written presentations based on that information.
- Ability to recruit, hire and develop student staff.
- Competence in Adobe Acrobat, as well as all Microsoft Office applications with high levels of expertise in Excel database management
- Ability to create, design and evaluate a wide variety of programs
- High levels of English proficiency and Spanish proficiency preferred.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Long hours of computer work, some lifting related to office functions and assistance in service-learning projects and events, some driving.
- Hours of computer work as well as reading written materials.
- Pleasant busy office working with professional and student staff. Updated equipment including university-issued laptop.
- 25-30% of work time spent out of the office at various program sites, on a seasonal program basis.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Grade 10: $53,950 - $70,135
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.