Azusa Pacific University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Graphic Designer - University Relations
at Azusa Pacific University
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
The Graphic Designer (GD) teams with a writer/editor and marketing coordinator to execute design solutions for printed publications, web presentation, recruitment, advertising, multimedia, and signage for the university’s main campuses as well as off-site centers, all the while providing leadership to the broader visual art/visual communication team. The GD is a consummate team player, recognizing the value of diverse partnerships in realizing creative solutions. The GD’s area of focus involves partnering with the art director, creative director, and leadership team to provide strategic and innovative leadership behind integrated marketing campaigns. This team member presents design solutions internally and externally, using sound artistic and strategic rationales.
- Bachelor of Arts in related field or area of expertise.
- 3-5 years experience in a fast-paced, deadline driven, visual communications environment.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Partners with account teams to establish both corporate and collateral image standards that advance the mission and purpose of the university.
- Partners with account teams to communicate standards to stakeholders campus-wide.
- Serves on a work team as a designer for specific print, web, and multimedia projects assigned to that team.
- Supports the associate creative director in his/her leadership to the visual art/visual communication team.
- Working collaboratively with the strategic communication team, visual concepts are developed which enhance the university image including, but not exclusive to, the university magazine, annual report, school and departmental brochures, flyers, posters, multimedia, undergraduate and graduate admissions recruitment materials, advertising, and email messaging.
- Works collaboratively with the broader University Relations team, the GD develops visual concepts which enhance the university’s external presence, both online and elsewhere.
- Collaborates, at a high level, with web technology and multimedia specialists as necessary.
- Works directly with the account executive to ensure a timely and efficient production schedule for print, web, and multimedia projects.
- Partners with the Associate Creative Director to develop vehicles that contribute to our visual art/visual communication team members’ growth and development.
- Ensures consistent use of the university’s logo and seal, and application of such, to the identity system by educating campus constituents of the proper logo usage.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs photo shoots as necessary.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs. Performs other duties as required by the supervisor.
- Excellent conceptual, verbal, and written skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Team player with the ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Must be approachable and responsive to both internal and external clients
- Able to influence and resolve issues effectively
- Strong command of typography, color, composition, hierarchy, and an understanding of how these elements work together for a design solution
- Knowledgeable about production processes and optimization techniques related to pre-press and on-press routines
- Proficient in Macintosh systems
- Advanced knowledge in the following software programs: Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop
- Working knowledge of the following software programs: Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Word, Web Design experience preferred
- Must exhibit excellent technical skills, outstanding creativity, a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and the ability to work well with a team as they recognize the value of diverse partnerships in realizing creative solutions
- Highly conceptual with excellent visual communication skills, great with layout, typography, color theory, and graphic design principles. Open to and accepting of change. A very developed sense of humor.
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- ?Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard. Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and consistent time spent viewing a computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Macintosh systems
- Advanced knowledge in the following software programs:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Lightroom
- Working knowledge of the following software programs:
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
- Google Apps Suite
- Grade 9: $23.58 - $30.65/hour
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.