Azusa Pacific University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Writing Consultant (Part-Time) - Writing Center
at Azusa Pacific University
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
Writing Consultants (WCs) meets face-to-face and online with APU undergraduate and graduate student writers.
Depending upon the program to which the WC is attached, the consultant will meet with students at regional centers, at the Azusa Campus, and/or online. The WC's goal during each appointment is to create transferable writing skills that the students will take with them throughout their college and writing careers. The WC will keep accurate records of the sessions as specified by the Director of the Writing Center and will assist in developing, refining, and updating consultation services, handouts, workshops, instructions, and techniques. The WC hours vary depending on student demand, which fluctuates during breaks, midterms, finals, etc., but this position requires a commitment of 25-29 hours per week, with at least two days per week on-site at the Azusa main campus.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Must have at least one year of experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring undergraduate and graduate students or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience working in a writing or academic support center or teaching academic writing is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with peers in giving writing feedback.
- Previous experience conducting online teaching or online tutoring appointments preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Attend meetings with the Director of the Writing Center and other staff training in writing consultation and tutoring practices, multilingual and non-traditional learner methods, and writing center procedures and record keeping tasks.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Interest in student-centered learning and process-oriented writing coaching.
- Evening and weekend availability strongly preferred.
- Read assigned materials to learn writing consultation theories and techniques for working with multilingual students, non-traditional students, and other tutoring methods.
- Assist new writing consultants in learning writing consultation techniques and protocols.
- Lead at least one Honors College Rhetoric Writing Group each fall.
- Record Keeping
- Accurately and thoroughly fill out client report forms as required.
- Apprise the supervisor of any faculty and staff concerns as needed.
- Public Relations and Communication
- Communicate with undergraduate and graduate programs and departments regarding assignments and writing requirements to which students must adhere in their writing projects.
- Communicate with students about ongoing writing projects.
- Distribute the Writing Center materials to the necessary programs, centers, instructors, and/or students.
- Lead workshops and writing groups with students on how the Writing Center works and writing-based topics.
- Resource Development/Maintenance
- The WC uses standard grammar reference texts or style format reference materials as determined by the course description of the assignment and model for the student writer to learn how to use the reference materials effectively.
- Light clerical work as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative in suggesting improvements or revisions in the service as the need becomes evident.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and adept interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage details and follow through.
- Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
- Excellent oral speaking skills and writing skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Proficient use of online resources, websites, and other electronic informational sites.
- Good initiative-taking skills and independent working skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a busy environment and stay focused.
- Ability to work under the direction of the Director.
- Ability to take instruction, learn, and retain information.
- Possesses a genuine commitment to service.
- Demonstrated ability to be patient while also maintaining professional/personal boundaries.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires repetitive motion and sitting at a computer and keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Meetings and workshops may require walking and/or driving to various University locations, including the Monrovia, Los Angeles, Orange, and Murrieta campuses.
- Ability to pull, push, bend, grasp, reach and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to climb stairs multiple times in a work day.
- Requires typing and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, stoop to lower file drawers and reach to top of five-drawer file cabinet, etc.
- Intermittent sitting, standing, and walking.
- Hearing and speaking in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to lift up to 10 lbs occasionally.
- Computer monitor, reading, and eye-contact with individuals.
- Pleasant office, comfortable surroundings, friendly staff, relaxed but professional.
- Student-focused in tone, Faculty-focused in professionalism.
- Proficient use of MS Word, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Sheets.
- Previous experience with WC Online preferred.
- Grade 7: $19.49 - $25.33
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.