Best Friends Animal Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Best Friends Animal Society
- 552- Los Angeles Clinic
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
Position Summary: The Veterinary Assistant is part of the Shelter Veterinary Medicine Team that provides medical care, as well as assisting with surgical care, to the animals in the adoption centers at Mission Hills and NKLA.
- Performing new animal intake, including but not limited to: vaccinations, micro-chipping, blood draws, basic intake examinations, under supervision of Vet Assistant II, RVT, or Veterinarian.
- Triage of caregiver observation forms and alerting Center Veterinarians as needed.
- Assisting with daily walk-throughs in the center monitoring general health of animals.
- Assisting with sedating and preparing animals for surgery.
- Helping monitor patients during surgery and post surgery.
- Administering prescribed medications, both oral and injectable.
- Assisting with medical care including but not limited to bandaging, blood draws, nail trims, IV catheter placement, IVF initiation and set up, administration of SQ fluids, fecal tests, snap tests, microscopic exams, grooming needs, anal gland expressions, etc under direction of RVT or Veterinarian.
- Assisting the veterinarian in animal handling and general treatment.
- General care of animals in the adoption centers.
- Preparing surgery packs and cleaning surgical equipment.
- Assisting with vaccinations.
- Filling prescriptions.
- Stocking supplies.
- Answering phones and scheduling appointments.
- Client education for foster appointments.
- Filing charts.
- Entering computer data, including medical notes.
- Cleaning cages and other hospital areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Prior experience as a Veterinary Assistant, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.