Carrington Mortgage Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Counsel, Litigation Management
at Carrington Mortgage Services
- Job ID
- Position Category
- Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC
- Position Type
Responsible for managing litigation, conducting research, drafting memoranda, and providing general advice and counsel relating to pre-litigation and litigation matters involving mortgage servicing operations. Perform all duties in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures, all US state and federal laws and regulations, wherein the company operates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Retains outside counsel, manages performance of outside counsel, reviews outside counsel invoices for accuracy and reasonableness, and oversees and manages performance of in-house paralegals.
? Reviews recommendations from outside counsel to develop and implement strategies on pre-litigation and litigation matters.
? Reviews settlement offers and makes recommendations to accept or deny the offer.
• Works with outside counsel and paralegals to develop and implement strategies on pre-litigation and litigation matters.
? Must meet billable hours requirement set forth by the department management.
• Research and analyze relevant case law, statutes and regulations.
• Monitors pre-litigation and litigation matters; prepares reports for management review.
• Review escalated customer complaints and assist in drafting responses.
• Reviews title issues and prepares title claims.
• Works closely with business units in the tasks of responding to discovery, developing strategies, and resolving matters.
? Assists with preparation of monthly and quarterly reports.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND COMPETENCIES:
• Ability to analyze and interpret correspondence, pleadings, case law, statutory materials, state and federal regulations, and communications from outside counsel.
• Ability to operate in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
• Ability to work with an experienced in-house legal team
• Ability to creatively problem-solve
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR LICENSES:
• A law degree from an accredited law school required
• At least four (4) years of experience working as a lawyer in the mortgage banking industry, with at least one (1) year of that relating to mortgage servicing issues required
? Previous experience with GNMA, FHA, USDA, and/or VA mortgage experience preferred
• In house and law firm experience preferred
• Experience managing outside counsel costs and litigation budgets preferred