Carrington Mortgage Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Retail Underwriter
at Carrington Mortgage Services
- Job ID
- Position Category
- Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC
- Position Type
Carrington maintains the necessary infrastructure to ensure stability and maximize value during any market cycle. We are a fully integrated mortgage company supporting our customers by providing a broad range of real estate services encompassing nearly all aspects of single family residential real estate transactions in the United States.
Our Mortgage Lending Division is becoming an industry leader by providing competitive mortgage products within our Retail and Wholesale lines of business. We deliver a superior customer experience by meeting individual needs, focusing on financial education, ensuring that our loans close on time and making the entire process as easy as possible. We’re always building our mortgage business with our customers in mind. Join us.
Underwrites loans in accordance with Company and Investor guidelines following company’s policies and procedures under general supervision. Makes sound underwriting decisions and ensures that all decisions meet legal and policy requirements. Perform all duties in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures, all US state and federal laws and regulations, wherein the company operates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a thorough analysis to ensure the quality of each loan and to determine compliance with Company and Investor guidelines.
- Performs a thorough analysis of collateral to ensure property meets investor guidelines and the appraisal quality and completeness is acceptable.
- Applies and interprets company underwriting guidelines and makes sound credit decision.
- Completes credit, analysis of income, analysis of property, ensures proper audits are completed and verifies consistency of loan file information.
- Identifies risk factors within each loan and utilizes resources, tools and documentation to detect red flags and clear inconsistencies.
- Reviews and evaluates credit information on mortgage loan documents to determine acceptability for specific loan programs.
- Determines any conditions, stipulations or pre-funding requirements.
- Reviews and clears underwriting conditions, stipulations or pre-funding requirements received.
- Communicates with clients, sales teams and operations teams to resolve outstanding issues as they arise.
- Assists departmental support staff when necessary.
- Resolves and responds to post closing credit exceptions received from investors and auditors when required on loans underwritten.
- Maintains ongoing knowledge of investor guidelines, updates and trends as applicable to underwriting position.
- Completes second signature underwriting review on loan files underwritten by junior underwriters and within designated authority as needed.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND COMPETENCIES:
- A thorough knowledge of mortgage loan underwriting
- Maintains highly confidential information concerning loan applicants
- Requires high level of organizational skills and ability to work on several tasks simultaneously
- Constant contact with Loan Officers and internal office staff
- Significant coordination of various duties required
- Office machines such as computer, copiers, fax machines and the telephone
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to handle detailed assignments
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR LICENSES:
- Five (5) plus years of FHA mortgage underwriting work experience
- FHA Direct Endorsement designation and/or VA SAR designation.
- DU and LP experience required.
- Experience working in a paperless Loan Origination System environment preferred.