City of Garden Grove's
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Reserve Police Officer - Level I
at City of Garden Grove's
- City and Job Overview
- The City of Garden Grove is currently accepting online applications for the part-time position of RESERVE POLICE OFFICER - LEVEL I.
THE COMMUNITY OF GARDEN GROVEThe City of Garden Grove is located in the heart of Orange County, approximately 30 miles southeast of Los Angeles and only 10 miles from beautiful beaches. Home to over 173,000 residents, it is a friendly, spirited and balanced community, rich in diversity - a city with a view toward the future. Our location provides easy access to all of Southern California and its numerous recreational and cultural attractions. Garden Grove is noted for fine residential districts, outstanding schools and friendly atmosphere.
GARDEN GROVE'S POLICE DEPARTMENTWe recognized the value of having our Police Department work in close partnership with our community long ago, and have seen the quality of life in Garden Grove steadily improve as a result. Our Community Policing philosophy has created strong alliances with citizens, businesses, schools, other governmental agencies and special interest groups throughout the City.Working in a Community Policing environment gives our officers opportunities to interact creatively and positively with members of the community on a wide variety of issues. That community connection brings great job satisfaction. When you couple this with the latest technology and the overall quality of our police officers, it's easy to see why Garden Grove's Police Department lives up to its reputation as one of America's best suburban police forces! The support of the community and cultural diversity make Garden Grove an exciting and demanding place to work.The Police Department consists of a chief, three (3) captains, seven (7) lieutenants, 22 sergeants and 128 police officers, in addition to civilian personnel. After sufficient experience in the department, specialization is available to police officers in the areas of Patrol, Investigations, Juvenile Services, Motorcycle Traffic Enforcement, Accident Investigations, Vice-Narcotic Enforcement, and Canine Handling. An outstanding in-service training program provides officers with extensive, continuous instruction in basic and specialized police techniques.
JOB OVERVIEWUnder the general supervision of a sergeant or designee, Level I Reserve Police Officers perform respective law enforcement duties in a support role. Duties include performing a variety of peace officer duties in the enforcement of laws, the protection of persons and property, crime prevention and suppression. Reserve Police Officers also have the opportunity to perform specialized assignments to include, but are not limited to, prisoner transport, gang suppression, DUI enforcement, or street crime prevention that target specific problem areas.The Garden Grove Police Department offers a certification process that allows Level I Reserve Police Officers to be eligible for promotion to a full-time police officer after a minimum of 200 hours in our Field Training Program, successful completion of a POST-approved Basic or Level I Academy, and acceptable evaluation and recommendation from the field training officer and sergeant.This is a great opportunity to serve the community of Garden Grove and become part of a law enforcement organization that is dedicated to protecting the lives and property of its citizens.
- Example of Duties
- Under general supervision, police officers perform law enforcement and crime prevention work within a community policing philosophy; control traffic flow; enforce state and local laws and ordinances; and perform investigative work.
EDUCATION: High school graduate or successful completion of the GED (General Educational Development) exam.
Candidates must possess a valid Level I module certificate from a California POST-approved reserve academy. A valid California POST Basic Academy certificate OR a POST Basic certificate is also acceptable. A valid copy of the California POST Level I module certificate, POST Basic Academy certificate, or a POST Basic certificate must be attached to the online application.
AGE: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age or older at time of appointment
PHYSICAL CONDITION: Must be in excellent condition and physically capable of performing all tasks required of a Garden Grove police officer as determined by a medical evaluation. Physical fitness standards must be maintained throughout employment as a Police Officer with the City of Garden Grove. Vision: Bilateral vision must be at least 20/100 correctable to 20/30 with no evidence of color blindness. Hearing: Hearing aids are not acceptable. Applicants with an average hearing loss of 26 dB or more in the better ear in the 500 to 2000 c.p.s. range, and 46 dB in the 3000 c.p.s. range in the other ear are disqualified. (ANSI standard).
CITIZENSHIP: Applicants must be citizens of the United States or permanent resident aliens who are eligible for and have applied for citizenship.
CALIFORNIA DRIVER'S LICENSE & DRIVING RECORD: Applicants must possess a valid California Class "C" driver's license and an acceptable driving record prior to and throughout employment.
ABILITIES & SKILLS: Applicants must demonstrate strong customer service skills and that they possess the ability to: pay close attention to detail; understand and accurately apply oral and written orders or instructions, laws, departmental policies and procedures; effectively communicate, both orally and in writing; and work closely and interact cooperatively and effectively with City staff members, our diverse citizens and representatives of other agencies.BILINGUAL SKILLS: Applicants possessing the ability to speak Spanish, Vietnamese, or Korean are highly desirable.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be legally authorized to carry a firearm and have no felony convictions.
- Other Important Information
HOW TO APPLY
Online applications may be completed online by visiting www.ggcity.org/hr. Questions regarding this position may be either sent to: email@example.com or asked in-person at the Human Resources Department located at City Hall, 11222 Acacia Parkway, Garden Grove CA. City Hall is open Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and every other Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. City Hall will be closed on 10/11/19 and 10/25/19.
The application filing deadline is October 29, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
Online application packet must include:
The job application must be completely filled out. A resume may be submitted but cannot substitute for the application or for some of the other required information. Be sure to detail any education, training or other relevant course work that would make you a particularly strong candidate.Your application will be reviewed very carefully, and only those who appear to have the best qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to further testing.Regardless of the notification preference you selected when creating your application (i.e., paper or email), APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE COMMUNICATION THROUGH EMAIL ONLY. Applicants should be diligent in checking their email and spam mail as all notices regarding their status in the current recruitment will be emailed to them.
- A completed online employment application,
- An attached copy of a valid California POST Level I module, POST Basic Academy, or POST Basic certificate,
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
The City of Garden Grove will administer the Physical Agility Test. Exam dates are tentative and are subject to change.
- APPLICATION SCREENING
- PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST - tentatively scheduled for November 16, 2019
- PANEL INTERVIEW - tentatively scheduled for December 18, 2019
- THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- COMPUTER VOICE STRESS ANALYSIS (CVSA) EXAMINATION
- PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION
- PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL EXAMINATION (which includes a back x-ray, drug and alcohol screening test)
The selection process takes approximately 180 days from initial application to final selection depending on the duration of each step during the selection process. Some of the steps may take longer than anticipated due to availability and scheduling.
Applicants who fail any part of the selection process will not be considered for appointment.
Candidates who may need accommodations during the selection process must contact the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to any test dates.
RE-APPLICATIONCandidates who applied for the Reserve Police Officer - Level I position with the City of Garden Grove in the past and did not pass the following tests in the selection process may re-apply as indicated:
- Physical Agility Test: May apply as often as given.
- Panel Interview: Applicant must wait twelve months to re-apply.
- Background Investigation (including CVSA exam): Applicant must wait twelve months to re-apply.
- Psychological Evaluation: Applicant must wait twelve months to re-apply.
DRIVER RECORD INFORMATION **IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ**
In order to participate in the selection process, candidates must request an official copy of their driver record from the California DMV. Driver records will only include all reportable information: convictions for three, seven, or ten years, departmental actions, and accidents on a person's driver record as required by California Vehicle Code section 1808.
In order to move forward in the selection process, candidates must have an acceptable driving record. An acceptable driving record is one that has three (3) or fewer DMV points issued within the past five (5) years, and no more than one (1) DUI within the past ten (10) years.
Please note the following:
All valid and complete driver records will be REQUIRED at the check-in for the physical agility. Candidates who do not possess a valid driver record may be disqualified from the selection process.For further questions, please contact Corporal Charles Starnes at email@example.com or Human Resources Analyst Caitlyn Stephenson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT OFFICIAL DRIVER RECORD REPORTS. To obtain your official driver record, complete form INF1125 and submit it IN-PERSON at a DMV location. (Form INF1125 can be downloaded from the DMV website or picked up at a DMV location). A minimal fee is required to obtain this report. We will NOT ACCEPT the online driving record printed from the CA DMV website. The CA DMV website states that the "online Driver Record is not an official document." We will also not accept insurance company printouts.
- SUBMIT A COMPLETE REPORT. A complete report will include the word "END" at the conclusion of the report and be printed on official DMV paper with a State of California watermark. Incomplete reports will NOT be accepted. Only the original report or a physical copy of the original report will be accepted. Reports will not be returned to the candidate.
- The driver record must have been printed between July 2019 - October 2019.
- MUST PROVIDE DRIVING RECORDS FOR RESIDENCY OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA. A candidate who has lived or is currently living outside of California must provide driving reports from every state where the candidate possessed a driver's license for the past 10 years (2009-2019).
NEPOTISM POLICYThe City has adopted a Nepotism Policy that may affect the status of a candidate's application. Please refer to the Garden Grove Municipal Code 2.44.440 Nepotism Policy for more information.
Facebook (keyword: Garden Grove Police Department Recruitment)