City of Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CIVIL ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE
at City of Long Beach
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2231954
Overall Job Objective
Accepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day, beginning November 19, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice.
Current vacancies are with Harbor (Port of Long Beach) and Public Works. Other departments that use this classification include Development Services, Water, and the Airport. Click HERE to see more details regarding the position for various departments.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current city employees within the classification or held prior status within the classification, with a desire to transfer to another department, bureau or division, submit your transfer application to be placed on the Transfer List.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Under direction, performs difficult engineering work in the planning, design, estimating, and reviewing of plans and construction documents for City streets, natural gas distribution pipelines, potable water, reclaimed water, sanitary sewer, storm drains, buildings and structures, construction administration, developer, airport and/or harbor engineering projects; assigns work, gives instructions and acts upon engineering problems in connection with standards; prepares complete plans, specifications and estimates; directs the work of Engineering Technicians in the preparation of drawings, plans, and quantity estimates; prepares preliminary and final reports for construction and improvement projects; conducts studies and develops plans for long-range replacement and rehabilitation of structures and facilities; reviews plans and construction documents for conformance with standards and specifications; investigates and responds to citizen complaints; writes reports and makes estimates of a specialized nature in connection with various engineering projects; assists in preparing cooperative agreements; prepares and interprets legal descriptions and plat maps; monitors progress of less complex projects conducted by Civil Engineering Assistants and/or outside consultants; may review structural plans and/or water and sewer plans and supervise field inspections of construction work to check compliance with standards and safety regulations; may assist developer's with the general planning concepts of water/sewer systems and in the preparation of the Capital Improvements Program; performs other related duties as required.
- REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Candidates must meet option A or B:
A. Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate in the field of Civil Engineering recognized by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers (proof required)*, and Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering or a closely related field (proof required)*, and three years (paid full-time equivalent) experience involving primary responsibility for preparation and/or review of standards, designs, construction activity and cost estimates of civil engineering projects, which must have been gained after passing the EIT exam or receiving a Bachelor's degree.
B. Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California (proof required)*.
- Experience with computer applications such as database management, project scheduling, spreadsheets, word processing and email.
- Ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with assigned staff, the public, client departments and consultants.
- A valid motor vehicle operator's license and a current DMV driving record must be submitted to the hiring department at time of selection.
- Some positions may require willingness to work nights, weekends, holidays, and/over overtime as needed.
*Required documents, such as transcripts or degree, must be uploaded to the application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristic on the form. Degree must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalency at the time of filing.
Recent seaport, airport facility or airfield pavement experience; experience with various computer applications such as: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, InRoads or other engineering applications including scheduling, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) programs, and computer software for hydraulic modeling; design of water, sewer, storm drains, streets, and reclaimed water systems; the processing and review of Developer projects, pilot testing; a valid Water Distribution Operator Certificate and/or Water Treatment Certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health or State Water Resources Control Board; and/or monitoring an inspection staff.
- SELECTION PROCEDURE
This examination will be conducted using the continuous, non-competitive procedure. All applicants meeting the requirements will be placed on the eligible list, with those receiving Veteran's credit first, and then in the order in which applications were filed. Eligible lists will be established periodically.
The continuous eligible list will expire in six months.
If you have not received notification within three weeks after filing, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
K13NN-19 EK CEA 12/5/18