City of Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Long Beach
Pay: up to $57210/year
$57210 - $
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2557449
Overall Job Objective
- For the past 40 years, the City of Long Beach Management Assistant Program has been attracting the country's top graduate students to work in the exciting field of local government. The Management Assistant Program provides talented individuals with the experience needed to gain the knowledge and skills to be effective local government leaders.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Management Assistants will:
- Learn about the challenges and opportunities of managing a large organization by working under the direction of the City Manager in four different departments during the year as a Management Assistant, including the City Manager's Office and Financial Management.
- Take a leadership role on challenging citywide projects throughout the course of the program, developing lasting innovative solutions to serve a diverse community. Management Assistants are considered key members of the City Management Team and will have the opportunity to contribute to internal and external City priorities across departments.
- Work alongside highly accomplished career managers and be privy to the highest level of executive decision-making, including weekly engagement in Department Director meetings. The expectations and the workload for Management Assistants are very high, and program participants join a cohort of accomplished City leaders. Management Assistants gain invaluable experience and management skills, and are well prepared to compete for professional positions within the City.
- REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Applicants must have completed the requirements for a Master's Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Urban Planning or related field by June 2020 and must have 6 months of paid or voluntary experience in government, finance, legislation, research or statistical analysis or equivalent experience.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume that clearly reflect the scope and level of their current/most recent positions and responsibilities, including any honors achievement and school/extracurricular activities. Applicants must also submit proof of their Master's Degree (copy of diploma or unofficial transcripts) and responses to the online supplemental questions. Incomplete applications or applications that clearly do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
- SELECTION PROCEDURE
- This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm on Monday, January 20, 2020.
Following the deadline, all applications and supplemental questions will be evaluated to determine the most qualified applicants. The most qualified applicants will be invited to a preliminary interview and top candidates will be invited to the City of Long Beach in April 2020 for a full day Assessment Center. The City of Long Beach uses an Assessment Center as the last step in the process to select each year's Management Assistants. Skills that may be assessed during the City's Assessment Center include analytical, budgeting, communication and writing, interpersonal skills and presentation skills. The City will arrange and/or reimburse for travel and hotel accommodations for all those invited to the assessment center.
The selection committee will make final job offers at the conclusion of the Assessment Center. If a final job offer is accepted, Management Assistants are responsible for their own relocation and housing expenses. The Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Management Assistant Program will begin on July 1, 2020.
The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization. In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for positions interacting with the public. The City of Long Beach intends to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If a special accommodation is desired, or if you would like to request this information in an alternative format, please call (562) 570-7457.
For more information about the program, including FAQs, please visit: longbeach.gov/jobs/map/.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please email: ManagementAssistant@longbeach.gov