City of San Bernardino, California
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Human Resources
at City of San Bernardino, California
- Job Summary
City of San Bernardino is seeking an experienced, innovative and service oriented individual who can lead the City's Human Resources Department. As a key member of the City's executive management team, the new Director will need to be a strategic thinker and creative problem-solver, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and perform well under pressure.
The most successful candidate will be a highly organized, hands on contributor, able to promote a culture of collaboration and teamwork. The ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge of and experience with the laws and regulations pertaining to human resources and labor relations as well as human resources and labor relations policy development and administration, preferably in the public sector.
The City offers an attractive compensation and benefit package, which includes:
- Retirement - Participation in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). Classic members with less than 6 months separation: CalPERS 2% at 55, single highest year plan. New members, CalPERS 2% at 62, three highest year average plan.
- Health Insurance - Monthly City contribution of $1,070 employee only or $1,195 employee + family towards Medical, Dental and Vision Care Insurance Plans.
- Leave - Vacation beginning at 80 hours after one year, 96 hours of sick leave annually, 12 holidays, plus 18 hours of floating holiday time and administrative leave of 80 hours per fiscal year.
- Car Allowance - The City provides a car allowance of $725 per month.
- Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance - The City provides Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance.
- Other - Optional Deferred Compensation Plan, flexible benefits plan, pre-tax childcare plan, and employee assistance program.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education, Training and Experience:
A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is graduation from a college or university with a major in public or business administration, human resources, psychology, or a closely related field; and at least ten years of progressively responsible human resource management experience, including labor relations, at least five of which were in a supervisory or program management capacity; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the City's vehicle insurance policy.
Certifications in human resource management issued by IPMA-HR or SHRM are highly desirable.
- Supplemental Information
- Click here to view the Director of Human Resources job description
The City of San Bernardino will provide reasonable accommodation for the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability. It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact Administrative Services for the City of San Bernardino in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment. Please call 909-384-5104 for additional information regarding requests for accommodation.