Downey Unified School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Downey Unified School District
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ARE RECEIVED.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Individuals in these temporary, part-time positions work with students in middle and high school. AVID tutors serve as excellent role models of motivated, organized, successful college students who believe that AVID students can and will succeed. They must be enrolled in college or university and should represent balanced academic backgrounds, some liberal arts majors, others science or mathematics majors. The tutors are people who work in a supportive manner with secondary students and are able to understand the delicate position they occupy. They are advocates of students, yet ultimately they are responsible to the teacher. They must be willing to meet regularly to discuss student progress and to confer with the teacher about future plans.
Some positions at the high school level have an emphasis in math requiring knowledge of Geometry, Algebra II, Trig/Pre-Calculus, and Calculus. Others have an emphasis in science requiring knowledge of Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy, and Physics.
- FUNCTION & DUTIES
- Under the direct supervision of the AVID coordinator/teacher, tutors perform the following tasks:
- Tutor students in small study groups, assisting them in all subject areas based on the class and text notes they have collected in their AVID binders.
- Determine from student notes and discussions the concepts that need to be taught or re-taught.
- Provide academic support for the AVID Program.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and text notes, book notes, etc.
- Become familiar with the materials in the AVID Libraries.
- Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID students.
- Conduct mini-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparation.
- Conduct brainstorming and clustering sessions.
- Lead peer critique groups in the Writing Conference.
- Contact teachers regarding course outlines and assignment schedules as directed by the AVID coordinator/teacher.
- Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Participate in ongoing training provided by the district.
- EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Application Review - Qualified candidates will be contacted directly by the Program Administrator.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Rate of pay is $13.75 per hour. This position is not entitled to fringe benefits or holiday pay.
The hours of work for the current openings vary by school site, up to 20 hours per week.