II-VI Optical Systems
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Project Engineer
at II-VI Optical Systems
- 29-Mar-2019 (PST)
- 15 – Engineering
- Tustin, CA, USA
- Full Time
II-VI Optical Systems' designs, manufactures, assembles and tests precision optical systems and components. Our products have been deployed on military platforms such as submarines, tanks, missiles, fighter jets and UAV's. II-VI Optical Systems has grown over the years from a provider of specialty optical materials to a full service provider of optical components and optical systems.
Since its establishment in 1961, II-VI Optical Systems has maintained a commitment to customer satisfaction and continuous improvement. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is achieved by continuous training of our staff with focus on quality, on-time delivery, and cost reduction. From the initial customer inquiry to final delivery, meeting the customer's requirements is our primary objective.
Project Engineering: Leads technical teams and coordinates engineering activities for design, development, and implementation of new products and manufacturing processes. Supports program management and operations personnel as technical lead on assigned projects. Leads project engineering efforts and ensures design concepts comply with customer's specifications and are manufacturable. Guides and supports product acceptance testing, qualification testing, and troubleshooting efforts throughout the organization. Consults in a variety of quality process activities including configuration control (CCD), change control (ECO, NOR, RCN), and MRB activities. Adheres to project/program financial goals and provides financial estimates and status updates to engineering and program managements.
Business Development: Represents EEO as the engineering spokesperson on new business opportunities and specialized projects. Direct customer interface in meetings and other industry events is required. Insight into EEO customer base and acknowledgement in the optics industry is expected. Leads and writes technical proposals for the development of new business and assists the estimation group in evaluating technical requirements, identifying exceptions, and preparing cost estimates for customer quotes. Must also serve as an effective archive of successful and unsuccessful proposal approaches and applies this knowledge/experience to new programs.
Technology: Exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness to develop highly advanced technologies, processes, and concepts related to the design and manufacturability of optical systems. Extends EEO knowledge base and technical capabilities in the field of optical design, alignment, and test for components and opto-mechanical systems. Plans R&D projects, troubleshoots critical processes, solves unusually complex problems, and provides technical expertise and guidance to the organization. Represents EEO as the principal expert and technical lead on critical programs/project in the area optical components and opto-mechanical systems.
Personnel Development: Provides guidance and training to project engineers, technicians, and manufacturing engineers throughout the organization. Provides feedback through coaching and mentoring. Provides administrative and technical support to engineering management.
Minimum BS degree, MS degree preferred, in engineering or related discipline, preferably in physics, optics, electrical or mechanical engineering.
15 years minimum optical engineering experience with minimum 5 years of experience at an aerospace/defense company. Experience with visible and Infrared targeting and surveillance systems for aerospace/defense applications.
- Outstanding verbal and written technical communication skills.
- Expert optical or opto-mechanical engineering experience and related process expertise in design and analysis, assembly, alignment and test of optical components and opto-mechanical systems.
- Strong experience in conventional design & analysis software packages to support new product development.
- Expert hands-on experience in design-for-manufacturability for optical assemblies.
- Strong hands-on experience in characterization of optical component and system performance.
- Exceptional technical and project leadership skills and intuitive ability for continuous process improvement.
- Computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet software, including MS Word, Excel, Access, some CAD (Solidworks preferred), to support requirements for technical reports and analytical studies.
- Must be capable of reading engineering drawings.
- Exceptional analytical, fault isolation and problem solving skills. DOE experience strongly desired.
- Experience leading technical program presentations internally and for customers.
- Advanced experience in new business development with experience writing technical proposals, estimating project schedules, and developing cost targets to support business development activities.
- Strong organization skills and attention to details required.
- Experience in process design, development and project planning is desired.
- Ability to have a security clearance to support classified government programs.
"II-VI Optical Systems is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law."