Latham & Watkins LLP
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Practice Support Operations Supervisor
at Latham & Watkins LLP
Latham & Watkins, a global law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the world, is currently seeking a Practice Support Operations Supervisor to join our winning team, located in our Global Services Office in downtown Los Angeles. The success of our firm is largely determined by our commitment to hire and develop the very best and brightest, creating a team that provides our clients with the highest quality of work and service. We are driven by our core values: respect, innovation and collaboration.
The Practice Support Operations Supervisor will receive a generous total compensation package. Bonuses are awarded in recognition of individual and firm performance. Eligible employees can participate in Latham's comprehensive benefit program including healthcare, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401k plan, and more! In addition, employees receive 10 paid holidays per year, and a PTO program that accrues 23 days during the first year of employment and grows with tenure.
As a Practice Support Operations Supervisor at Latham, you will be responsible for supervising the daily functions of the Practice Support Center (PSC) team. You will actively assist and offer guidance to the PSC team, providing a high level of support in the areas of litigation and transactional matters. The Supervisor will display a high level of ownership, and would be responsible for prioritizing projects, negotiating and meeting deadlines, and managing the expectations of the case teams and the project managers while accomplishing these and other critical functions:
- Supervising, coaching, and educating the PSC staff, leading them in their professional development endeavors
- Overseeing the daily operations of the US-based PSC by managing all practice support projects and ensuring the highest quality of project delivery and support
- Identifying training needs/issues, and supporting the development, implementation, and assessment of ongoing practice support training programs; assisting with the orientation of all new PSC team members
- Leading team toward accurate and timely completion of projects and assignments, as well as responses to support inquiries; ensuring that all tasks and duties are completed within the firm’s set guidelines and policies.
- Working with the Manager, Processing Lead, and UK-based Operations Supervisor to create standards and procedures in the areas of processing, review, and production of documents and electronically stored information (ESI) as well as project workflow, data storage, and quality assurance
- Recommending protocols and best practices to the Manager in the areas of electronic discovery document review, productions, depositions, and trial preparation
- Promoting current practice support software and tools (e.g., Eclipse, Opus2 Magnum, HighQ, Kira, etc.) to the firm attorneys and staff by hosting training sessions during in-person demonstrations, practice group meetings, one-on-one visits, and new hire orientations
- Providing support and guidance to PSC staff in document review database maintenance, database uploads, indexing, automation, testing, backups, restore, and related issues that may arise
- Making himself or herself fully available to the team (including after-hours) to resolve urgent issues and ensure projects are completed on time
- Coordinating team meetings to discuss active projects and current practice support issues and needs
- Coordinating the work schedules of the US-based PSC team to ensure adequate coverage
- Leading post-project analysis to discover workflow challenges and making recommendations to the Manager regarding quality control processes to improve procedures for future projects
- Making recommendations to the Manager and the Human Resources department regarding hiring, training, counseling, and disciplining departmental employees
- Consulting and assisting attorneys and staff when necessary with hardcopy and electronic discovery projects and overall litigation services such as coordinating collections, productions/disclosures, depositions, and trial presentations
- Keeping abreast of new technologies and trends in electronic discovery; participating in vendor demonstrations via web meeting or other presentation methods; working with Technology staff to assess training and development needs
- Assisting with testing and implementing new software products or upgrades
- Ensuring the PSC billable hours are tracked in the time billing system and creating reports to understand the PSC resource needs; discussing the content of those reports with the Manager
- Meeting with Manager regarding the PSC services, goals, and current issues, and providing feedback and input regarding the current direction of the department
- Participating in L&W Global Technology conference calls to understand firm strategies and updating group regarding current projects
- Coordinating with other areas or departments of the firm where overlap exists to develop efficient procedures and communications to streamline processes and satisfy various department needs
- Completing special projects regarding various issues as needed
- Working with the Manager to generate performance evaluations for departmental employees, and recommending salary adjustments.
- Acting as a liaison between other Practice Support Services teams (including Practice Technology Consulting and Trial Technology Consulting), case teams, vendors, and L&W Local & Global Technology staff to promote communication and ensure projects are completed within specifications
- Promoting effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers.
As a Practice Support Operations Supervisor, you will be expected to apply your organizational and communication skills while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude. The successful Practice Support Operations Supervisor must have excellent knowledge and proficiency in common e-discovery processing, case analysis, early case assessment, document review, and other tools (e.g. Relativity, iPRO eCapture, Eclipse, LAW Pre-discovery, CaseMap, Case Notebook, Opus2 Magnum, etc.). Strong familiarity with the EDRM and best practices in e-discovery, including practices that vary from country to country, is desired. GDPR compliance and experience with the handling of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is a plus. The Supervisor must possess sound understanding of database technology required, including but not limited to, relational and flat file database systems, data types, indexing, and queries. Strong understanding of SQL queries, regular expressions, and custom scripting is strongly desired. An ideal candidate will display knowledge of and proficiency in the use of batch files and proprietary and third party tools (e.g. PowerShell, Text Editors, Robocopy, Beyond Compare, TreeSize, etc.) for the management and manipulation of files and data.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems is preferred. A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree. A minimum of six (6) years of practice support experience is required. A minimum of three (3) years of relevant supervisory or team leadership/coordination experience is required. Occasional travel may be required of this position, as well as the need to work after-hours and ability to work remotely.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ link.
Latham & Watkins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and sustainability enables Latham & Watkins to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.
Latham & Watkins LLP will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
For information regarding family care and medical leave (CFRA), click here.