Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Cake Decorator - Store # 43 FT
at Northgate Markets
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: To design and decorate different kinds of cakes; to bake cakes, prepare icing, train assistants and maintain the cleanliness of the bakery; work with customers or clients to create a specific design or theme for the cake and oversee the delivery of orders to clients; to ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service to customers and team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Customer service a must, Provide optimum customer satisfaction.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or hair net and uniform.
- Report all life, safety, and fire hazards to the bakery manager for correction; comply with all occupational safety and health regulations; report all accidents and injuries with the bakery manager.
- Establish and maintain positive and productive vendor relationships.
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout the organization.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations having an adverse effect on department or store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and verify receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all delivered; check products for quality, count, and condition.
- Load, unload oven. Know the proper temperatures and duration to bake all varieties of products.
- Operate mixer.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory control of ingredients and supplies.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water, and observe sound conservation practices.
- Be familiar with invoice documents and confirm accuracy of item descriptions, sizes, quantities and pricing during grocery vendor product deliveries; record invoice documents accurately on the receiving log and place signed invoice in the designated secured area.
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, in-store use of merchandise and bad merchandise/ spoilage write-offs in accordance with company policies.
- Properly label and date all products.
- Achieve and exceed margin and sales targets.
- Follow established weights and measures procedures.
- Maintain, organize, clean, stock and rotate daily received walk-in products.
- Comply with all applicable state, health and safety codes; maintain a safe and sanitary department.
- Check refrigeration equipment for proper performance at least once per shift.
- Use and maintain equipment in orderly manner.
- Perform all duties related to all decorating, pastry production, sanitation, and stocking of all bakery products such as:
- Decorate cakes and pastries with designs, using icing bags or handmade paper cones.
- Trim uneven surfaces of cake or cut and shape cake to required size, using knife.
- Spread icing between layers and on surfaces of cake, using spatula.
- Tint white icing with food coloring; insert dye of specific design into tip of bag or paper cone and fill bag or cone with colored icing.
- Squeeze bag to eject icing while moving bag with free-arm writing motions to form design on cake.
- Form decorations, such as flower shapes and decorations to cake, using spatula and bag.
- Prepare the mixing of icing.
- Follow schematics.
- Follow sales plans.
- Assure that all items have expiration dates.
- Must participate in axonify.
- Must comply with company compliance initiatives (example: production planning)
- Must use safety equipment required (example: PPE)
- Follow safety rules.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent, preferred but not required.
- Three years decorating experience required; or equivalent experience.
- Completion of a certificate program in pastry arts preferred but not required.
- Health department training required.
- Be able to calculate percentages and ratios when measuring ingredients in dough mixtures and recipes for varying quantities or amounts.
- The associate must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, gross margins, markup, percentages, proportions, ratios, and volume and to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate quality goals to customers.
- Ability to work well and communicate with others as a part of a team. Ability to read, write, and understand the English language effectively in order to read and understand:
- instructions for operating ovens, fryers, fire suppression system and other mechanical and electronic equipment
- company handbooks, policies and procedures
- other written job-related documents including safety notices and other postings on company bulletin boards
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Knowledge of the basic techniques of cake decoration and the principles of baking.
- Willingness to taste and evaluate all products offered in department.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being “drug-free” under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 70 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items from overhead or elevated storage shelves and racks; be able to perform routine cleaning and maintenance duties including lifting of both heavy and light amounts of weight.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during routine housekeeping duties.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes frequent exposure to heated ovens and high temperatures.
- The atmospheric environment may occasionally contain airborne particles of flour, spices, and other finely powdered ingredients and frequent aromatic odors.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).