Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Cashier - Store # 43 FT
at Northgate Markets
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: Providing a Fast and Friendly experience to the stores’ customer when operating a cash register; while charging the customers accurately and working efficiently. To perform stocking and other duties, as assigned, depending upon the amount of time available, business volume, and other criteria according to company policy; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Observe all store rules and company policies Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by the store team leader.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Clean check stands and work area daily.
- Responsibility of cash drawer contents in both the "start" and "end" of the actual work shift.
- Cashier accountability (i.e., over/ shorts of till)
- Scan or record the purchases of a customer into a cash register efficiently and accurately.
- Be knowledgeable in and able to recognize or differentiate between all the various types of produce merchandise carried in the store including differences between varieties of similar classes of products (e.g., apples, lettuces, etc.).
- Assist customers with bulk products that they may have difficulty in handling.
- Collect money in the form of cash or checks from customers and tender accurate change in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Process all of the various types of sales transactions accepted by the store including but not necessarily limited to authorized Accounts Receivable sales, EFT transactions, WIC Coupons, Food Stamps, manufacturers' coupons, gift certificates, etc. in strict accordance with established company policies and procedures including full compliance with any legal requirements or regulations governing same.
- Bag or package merchandise according to established company policies and procedures.
- Handle damaged or spoiled products and return-to-stocks ("go-backs") according to company policy.
- Ring all sales into cash register in accordance with company cash handling procedures.
- Verify all customer IDs presented and observe store policies pertaining to the acceptance of checks and the sale of alcoholic beverages.
- Notify management promptly of any irregularities or discrepancies in the operating results of any applicable work shift if cash variations exceed $5.00 (or the level that has been established by management for your particular store or location).
- Record on designated forms any price discrepancies and/or any "not on file" items that are encountered on electronic point-of-sale terminals or computers; request price checks promptly on any such items according to company policy.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Assist in keeping all checkout, sales and storage areas clean, clear and in good order.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order and report any problems or malfunctions immediately to your supervisor.
- Adhere to company policy pertaining to excessive cash in registers and perform cash pickups in accordance with such policy.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
- Secure register at all times when leaving it unattended; protect company assets at all times.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
- Assist in training associates and co-workers when directed to do so.
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout the organization
- Comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred with successful completion of an apprenticeship/training program; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- (None required)
- Be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, gross margins, percentages, ratios, and apply concepts of basic algebra in order to handle sales transactions, tender change, and verify vendor invoice charges and counts.
- Be able to accurately complete required reports including daily sales reports, inventory counts, receiving logs, and cash accountability or cash reconciliation and audit forms.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to check identification cards, checks, invoices and other written documents.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items for customers located above freezer cases or from stockrooms and other storage areas; be able to sweep and mop floors, dust and face shelves, and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of glass or plastic containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- Be able to work with fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants and flowers without negative allergic consequences that adversely impact performance.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during routine housekeeping duties.
- Have sufficient memory retention skills to memorize weekly ad prices and daily produce (or other perishable department) specials.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to heated ovens and high temperatures.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).