Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Janitor- Store #06 PT
at Northgate Markets
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: To perform maintenance and janitorial duties throughout the store as prescribed by store management to ensure that the store premises and fixtures are kept clean and sanitary; to present a clean, attractive environment to the store's customers and its employees and ensure that the work shift contributes positively to the best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Empty all rubbish containers as agreed by store management.
- Clean and sanitize bathrooms including all plumbing fixtures in the manner agreed by store management.
- Replenish paper and soap supplies in all restrooms as required.
- Clean, sweep, scrub, strip, wax, buff or vacuum floors in sales area and other floor areas as designate by management in accordance with established store procedures, schedules or guidelines.
- Clean employee break and lunch areas.
- Sweep warehouse floors.
- Monitor inventory of cleaning supplies and submit purchase orders or requests to store management as required.
- Be knowledgeable of the company's HAZCOM program and adhere to manufacturer's label instructions for the safe and proper use of all chemical products.
- Handle damaged and spoiled products and place items in designated area.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
- Performed the hourly Gleason walk throughout the store.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to key person or security any abnormal behavior.
- Responsible for the security of auxiliary doors and entrances when using them to take out trash containers to empty into outside refuse bins or when using exterior sites to prepare or clean equipment (e.g., floor scrubbers).
- Notify store manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise store manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Assist in training associates when requested or directed.
- Maintain good communications with coworkers and supervisors throughout the organization
- Comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Follow given procedure in the performance of all duties and ensure that proper dilution mixtures or ratios are used when preparing cleaning solutions and mixtures; comply with all chemical product label instructions and warnings.
- Use proper safeguards, such as warning signs and safety cones, to alert customers and employees to potential hazards such as wet or slippery floor surfaces.
- Sweep floors during store hours and respond promptly to emergencies or potential safety hazards, such as spills and broken glass or plastic containers that contain liquid products.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred but not required.
- (None required)
- Be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the eighth-grade level in order to calculate proper mixture ratios or dilution factors when preparing or mixing cleaning solutions and other materials.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other written job related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being “drug free” under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
- Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with the proper procedures in all phases of store maintenance including the store's safety and HAZCOM policies.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to read label instructions, ingredients, warnings and other printed material on containers of cleaning solutions and concentrates.
- Be able to lift up to 32 pounds at least once per shift, carrying bulk dog food, cartons of milk or beverages, trash containers, etc.
- Be able to climb a ladder to wash windows, change lamp bulbs, and other duties that require access to elevated areas; be able to sweep and mop floors and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of glass or plastic containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common cleaning agents including cleaning solutions, ammonia, floor stripping compounds and waxes during the performance of maintenance department duties.
- The work environment includes the use and handling of chemical substances and solutions; some of which could be potentially hazardous if label instructions are not adhered to or if mixed or combined improperly.
- The work environment includes occasional duties in frozen food and other refrigerated storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes frequently working on wet and slippery surfaces.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).