Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Information Technologist - Social Services Agency
at Orange County
- CAREER DESCRIPTION
SR. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIST
Social Services Agency
This recruitment will be posted for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) when the needs of the County are met. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time without notice.This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Sr. Information Technologist positions within this specialty. This eligible list may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.COUNTY OF ORANGE
The County of Orange is a regional service provider and planning agency whose core businesses include public safety, public health, environmental protection, regional planning, public assistance, social services and aviation.
SOCIAL SERVICES AGENCY
The Social Services Agency (SSA) operates under the policy direction of the Orange County Board of Supervisors and the California Health and Human Services Agency. SSA is responsible for planning, implementing, and operating many of the social services programs provided by the County of Orange. Programs are funded with State, Federal, and county dollars. SSA is comprised of dedicated, caring, and efficient staff whose mission is to deliver quality social services that are accessible and responsive to the community, encourage personal responsibility, strengthen individuals, preserve families, protect vulnerable adults and children, and recognize cultural diversity. We succeed in our mission through encouragement and respect for our clients, partnerships with the community, and a commitment to innovation and excellence in leadership.
The Sr. Information Technologist will provide a wide range of services which include serving as a designated administrator for several departmental information technology systems; researching and identifying system environment requirements and specifications; determining system integration requirements to ensure inter-operability across multiple platforms and technologies; and coordinating data processing, database administration, business process analysis, networking and/or telecommunications staff to identify, plan and implement system design specifications and resolve integration issues. This includes mobile device management, antivirus/antimalware, SSA media servers, automated software distribution, patch management, call center digital signage infrastructure, automated data synchronization, local office servers, etc.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a lead over subordinate professional information technology staff within an assigned work unit; schedules and assigns work; distributes resources; provides direction and guidance regarding processes and procedures; monitors staff work and work products to help meet unit goals and objectives
- Determines compatibility of business user software applications with statewide systems such as CWS/CMS, CalWIN, CMIPS II, and MEDS; and creates, tests and deploys standard image containing all software products and ensure proper configuration.
- Plans, implements and monitors hardware and software upgrades, patches, security and backup/recovery processes; obtains new and upgraded system hardware and software from vendors; utilizes appropriate tools to install and test upgrades and patches; develops automated PowerShell scripts to ensure that new and upgraded systems work effectively with current systems and programs; determines and documents proper installation parameters for software and hardware in order to ensure smooth integration, transition and efficiency
- Administers cloud based systems critical to agency operations; configures and supports via portals into cloud systems and liaisons with cloud portal staff to resolve any supports issues
- Serves as a project lead over large information systems projects requiring the support of multiple staff and the procurement/utilization of significant resources; monitors vendor performance to ensure compliance with County standards and specifications; interfaces with clients to define project scope and review project activities, recommendations and outcomes; coordinates the use of project resources based on project specifications
- Provides professional customer support and expert level solution management for system-related software and hardware; interacts with clients to analyze changes in business requirements that may impact system function; recommends technology solutions to improve business operations
- Installs, configures, customizes and administers a variety of commercial, off-the-shelf (COTS) applications; may write programs/scripts and develop reports using standard application development products and tools
- Monitors the performance and capacity of information system components; uses performance monitoring and capacity planning tools to ensure that assigned systems and applications are performing effectively; monitors the capacity of cloud and local storage
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will have at least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience performing the duties and responsibilities listed above. The ideal candidate will also possess a Bachelor's degree in Information Computer Science, Information Computer Technology, Information Systems, or in a related field of study.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have knowledge, skills, and abilities which would demonstrate the following competencies:
- Supervise, train, assign and evaluate work of staff, and write staff performance evaluation
- Conduct team meetings and foster communication
- Lead and support continuous improvement efforts and innovative initiatives, including identifying improvement opportunities, analyzing complex operational problems, evaluating alternatives, and recommending and implementing effective solutions
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative within established guidelines
Interpersonal Skills/ Teamwork
- Plan and lead the execution of operational procedures to ensure that projects and deadlines are met within a timely manner
- Handle concurrent or multiple tasks/projects efficiently
- Achieve expected quality and quantity of results and appropriately focus on outcomes
- Work well in a team environment and demonstrate the ability to positively motivate a team
- Generate consensus and collaborative relationships with project managers, IT professionals, vendors, and service providers to achieve operational goals and mitigate project risk
- Respond quickly, courteously, and proficiently to customer service requests
- Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with peers, supervisors, and managers
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing to accurately and appropriately convey information to various audiences
- Present and discuss results of various analyses and information on IT projects with management
Click here to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Senior Information Technologist classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental conditions.
Candidates will be required to undergo and successfully clear a background clearance check prior to the start of their employment. All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Areas considered in the background check include conviction history, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts) if applicable. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Services (N.A.C.E.S.) - In addition, a Child Abuse Central Index (CACI) background clearance check may be required. CACI is a repository of child abuse investigation reports managed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) that contains information related to substantiated cases of physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental/emotional abuse, and/or severe neglect of a child.
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.
Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer): Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applications exhibiting qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Structured Oral Interview | Oral Exam (Weighted 100%): Candidates will be interviewed and rated by a qualification appraisal panel of job knowledge experts. Each candidate's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Dori Edles at (714) 245-6084 or Teodora.Edles@ssa.ocgov.com.
- EEO INFORMATION
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.