Palmdale School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Palmdale School District
Under the direction of the Director, Health Services and indirect supervision of certificated staff, this position supports student achievement by providing specialized assistance to instruct students (individually or in groups) in accordance with prescribed learning objectives. Assisting a teacher or administrator in establishment and maintenance of appropriate classroom and site behavior. Performs medical treatments and procedures necessary in providing specialized physical health care services to students with exceptional needs. Acts as a paraprofessional assistant to a teacher in performing assigned tasks.
- Example of Duties
- Perform specialized health care procedures in accordance with established standards of practice, including, but not limited to, catheterization, gastrostomy tube feedings, ostomy care, tracheostomy care, suctioning, blood glucose monitoring, oxygen administration and oxygen saturation management, ventilator, and other medical procedures.
- Under direction of certificated personnel, provides individualized instruction by matching instruction to needs of each student.
- Assesses students in collaboration with the credentialed school nurse for acute and chronic health problems.
- Assists with supervision of classroom, outdoor playground, and field trip activities to direct students into safe activities and relationships.
- Works with students individually or in small groups to tutor, reinforce, or follow-up learning activities.
- Implements assigned sections of student behavior management plans, which may involve use of approved behavior modification, physical management techniques, or other skills or knowledge to establish and maintain appropriate behavior.
- May pick up breakfasts/lunches from the school lunchroom and or prepare lunch trays. Under direction of certificated personnel, assists in individual/group feeding program, including specialized feeding.
- May participate as a member of the appropriate team or committee to assist staff with developing and implementing individual or site crisis management plans.
- Accompanies or assists students to/from school bus or other transportation and in moving to/from activities on school site or campus; rides with students on bus which transports students to/from school, as appropriate, and may provide needed health care or specialized health care procedures during transport.
- Accompanies and assists certificated personnel during the transporting and instruction of student in off-campus or community-based settings.
- Gives guidance and provides an example for students in various areas such as academic learning, communication, vocational skills, social and leisure skills, physical development/ fitness, and personal hygiene.
- Confers on a regular basis with teacher in regard to planning and scheduling activities, instructional goals and objectives, student progress, and pertinent health or behavior problems.
- Assists teacher in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe, and pleasant classroom and learning environment; assists teacher with implementation of students' Individualized Education Program (IEP) through instruction in a variety of activities, such as nature study, singing, dancing, and sports;
- Administers first aid, including administering emergency medications, including but not limited to, epinephrine autoinjectors and anti-seizure medication/Diastat; establish and maintain daily documentation of specialized physical health care services and procedures which may include administration of medication.
- Operates a variety of medical equipment, including but not limited to, electronic thermometer, stethoscope, pulse oximeter, suction machine, ventilator, catheterization and gastrostomy feeding equipment, nebulizer, and other medical equipment.
- Updates and maintains medical records; initiates and completes reports and records, such as accident and incident reports.
- Maintains confidentiality of student records in accordance with legal requirements and policies.
- Attends inservice and staff meetings as required.
- Assists lifting of students in/out of wheelchairs, braces and other orthopedic equipment.
- Assists students with various forms of personal hygiene care such as toileting and diapering; assists students in dressing, undressing, bathing, grooming, eating and feeding.
- Administers medication to students by mouth, G-tube, rectally, or subcutaneous/intramuscular injections, in accordance with standards of practice.
- Performs routine clerical tasks; operates duplicating machines; assembles material for classroom projects; prepares material and masters; answers telephone; may perform incidental typing tasks.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Any combination of training and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
High school diploma or GED, and one of the following:
- Completion of two years of higher education study
- Possession of an Associate's or higher level degree
- Successful completion of an assessment that demonstrates knowledge of, and the ability to, assist in teaching reading, writing, and mathematics or mathematics readiness.
Six months experience working as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) is desirable; experience working with school-aged children highly desirable.
Completion of formal or informal education sufficient to possess the skills, knowledge and abilities established for the position; completion of a training program in Vocational Nursing.
- Other Information
This position has mandated requirements of:
- Current license as a Vocational Nurse in California. License must remain current.
- Possession of a valid First Aid and CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) Certification.
- Possession of an appropriate valid driver's license.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Ability to be covered under the District property/liability insurance.
40 lb. lifting/carrying weight requirement.
Sitting, walking and standing for extended periods of time; bending; stooping; twisting at waist; lifting and carrying students and equipment; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate office or specialized equipment; seeing to monitor students during indoor/outdoor activities; hearing and speaking to exchange information and provide assistance to students.
IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO QUALIFY WITH AN AA DEGREE OR HIGHER, OR WITH THE REQUIRED 48+ UNITS, YOU MUST ATTACH OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. IF OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THIS APPLICATION, YOU WILL BE TAKING THE NCLB ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT IN ADDITION TO THE SUBSTITUTE PARAEDUCATOR/LVN EXAM, FOR A TOTAL OF TWO EXAMS.
THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND CERTIFICATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED AT THE TIME OF YOUR APPLICATION. IF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND CERTIFICATIONS ARE NOT UPLOADED ALONG WITH YOUR APPLICATION, YOU WILL BE INELIGIBLE TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law, civil rights regulations and policies, the Palmdale School District, its offices, and employees, are prohibited from discriminating based on age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, marital status, nationality, parental status, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any
program or activity.