Palmdale School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substitute Special Education Instructional Assistant
at Palmdale School District
Pay: up to $12/hour
$12 - $
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2498577
Overall Job Objective
- To perform a variety of duties and responsibilities involved in assisting in special education programs including to prepare teaching materials, supervise students and to meet the special education needs of students.
- Example of Duties
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist special education teacher in the conduct of lessons and other classroom activities; prepare for and assist with various classroom projects; clean up after classroom projects.
- Assist individual or small groups of students with academic skills; listen to and drill individuals or small groups of students in reading, spelling, math and other subjects.
- Observe students; answer questions; give individual instruction; counsel and calm students as needed.
- Assist in carrying out behavior modification programs including charting, time out supervision and self-defense; assist teacher in maintaining classroom control.
- Assist in supervising students during playground activities, bus loading and unloading, outings and other activities.
- Assist teacher in preparation of instructional and testing materials; administer and score tests; correct papers; assist in the preparation of graphic and written teaching materials.
- Assist special education teacher in assessing programs and materials to meet the needs of the children; collect, assemble, and distribute textbooks, learning package materials, supplies, equipment, and other resource materials; assist in ordering instructional material and aids when necessary.
- Perform routine duties and activities, such as grade recording in grade book, taking attendance and maintaining attendance records; fill out forms and applications as needed.
- Assist in maintaining a neat, orderly, and attractive learning environment, such as preparing bulletin board materials and decorate classroom.
- Attend and participate in faculty, staff, inservice and parent conferences and meetings, as required.
- Set up and operate audio-visual equipment, computer, copying machines and other related equipment that serve as aids in or to the instructional program.
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Some instructional assistant experience is desirable.
Training:Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
In addition to a high school diploma or equivalent, applicants must meet one of the following:a) Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (48 unitsfrom an accredited college or university);b) Obtained an Associates or higher degree; orc) Met a rigorous standard of quality and be able to demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics.If you have completed item a) or b), please provide a copy of your official transcripts (internet obtained transcripts are unacceptable) to the personnel office with completed substitute application.
Those not meeting one of these qualifications will be required to take the Assessment examination in addition to the Substitute Special Education Instructional Assistant.
- Other Information
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a current American Red Cross first Aid Certificate is desirable.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a current CPR Certificate is desirable.
Working Conditions:Indoor/outdoor environmentPhysical Abilities:20 lb. lifting/carrying weight requirementSitting, walking and standing for extended periods of time; bending; stooping; twisting at waist; lifting and carrying job-related equipment; significant dexterity of hands and fingers, seeing to monitor students during indoor/outdoor activities; hearing and speaking to exchange information and provide assistance to students.
This position has federally mandated requirements of either: An AA degree or higher, OR at least 48 college units, OR a passing score using our NCLB academic assessment (reading, language arts, math).
If you have a degree or 48 college units, Official Transcripts must be must be uploaded to your application.
If no transcripts are uploaded at the time of your application, you will be required to take our NCLB academic assessment.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law, civil rights regulations and policies, the Palmdale School District, its offices, and employees, are prohibited from discriminating based on age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, marital status, nationality, parental status, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity.