Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Incorporated
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Entry-Level, Building Technology
at Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Incorporated
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) is a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil/infrastructure, and science/defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than thirty additional countries. SGH has over 600 employees and offices in Boston, Chicago, Houston, New York City, San Francisco, Southern California, Waltham, MA and Washington DC.
Our Building Technology division is currently looking to hire December 2019 and spring 2020 graduates with a Bachelor of Architectural Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Civil or Structural Engineering in all our office locations. Building Technology is the application of engineering principles, physics, and materials science to the exterior envelope of buildings to make them durable, energy-efficient, and able to reliably resist water infiltration. As an entry-level hire, under the direction of a licensed engineer, you will assist with new design, evaluation, investigation, and design of repairs for existing buildings. Essential duties include climbing ladders and scaffolds, the ability to work at great heights, and the ability to travel by car to multiple job sites. A strong technical education, professional demeanor, and desire to learn is essential to this position.
- Bachelor of Architectural Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 0 to 5 years of experience, EIT preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in building construction and solving engineering problems.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and enthusiasm for the work.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Good verbal and writing skills.
- Experience in any of the following areas is a plus: building construction or an allied field, industrial rope access (rock climbing), mechanical repair, AutoCAD, Revit.
- Must be able to climb ladders and scaffolds, and work at great heights.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
- Enthusiasm and passion - consistently maintains high levels of activity and productivity.
- Communication - conveys information to internal and external clients clearly with excellent writing or oral skills.
- Problem-solving – capability to solve minor or complex problems using data, logic, judgement and problem-solving tools.
- Accountability and responsibility - self-starter with willingness to interact as a team player and take independent initiative to ensure tasks are competed.
- Teamwork - work with others toward a shared goal, participating actively, sharing responsibility and rewards and contributing to the capability of the team.
- Teachable – passionate and willingness for continued learning of new ideas and concepts.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees.
SGH considers all qualified applicants, and we encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply.