Southern California Gas Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Manager I or II - Project & Construction
at Southern California Gas Company
Job TitleProject Manager I or II - Project & Construction
Full Time/ Part TimeFull-time
**This posting is to fill several positions at either the Project Manager I or II level in Project Construction Management**
Manage multiple major Capital or O&M projects. Projects include Transmission, Storage, or Distribution pipeline installations, relocations, or hydrotesting; mainline valve installation/automation; pressure control and measurement facilities construction; business and technical studies and evaluations.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Overall project management responsibilities from cradle to grave and single point of accountability for all aspects of projects under his/her area of responsibility and control.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define and manage the scope, budget, schedule, execution plan, and risk management plan for the projects under his/her area of responsibility.
- Develop and obtain approval of design parameters which establish performance, safety and reliability requirements for proposed projects. Analyze proposed designs for practicability and compatibility with overall project and existing systems, policies and procedures.
- Manage indirect reports, consultants, and contractors supporting his/her projects.
- Develops Request For Proposals (RFPs) and bid solicitations to obtain outside services or materials.
- Negotiates contracts and contract change orders with engineering firms, suppliers, construction contractors, and other agencies.
NOTE: This position will be filled at the appropriate level based on the experience level of the selected candidate, final scope of job responsibilities and job requirements.
- Successful Project Manager I candidate should have an engineering degree or equivalent knowledge and experience. Must have a minimum of 5+ years of proven successful project management experience in the area of distribution, transmission, or other industrial projects.
- Successful Project Manager II candidate should have an engineering degree or equivalent knowledge and experience. Must have a minimum of 8+ years of proven successful project management experience in the area of distribution, transmission, or other industrial projects.
- Candidate must have a solid understanding of project management principles including scope development, developing and using a work breakdown structure, estimate development, cost control, schedule development and earned value progress measurement, change management, project financials, and risk management.
- Conceptual and innovative thinking skills are essential to solve complex problems, propose creative solutions, and ensure all feasible options are considered. Must have strong analytical thinking skills to evaluate complex proposals and bids for the basis of making objective decisions. Will be required to link new concepts and technologies.
- Candidate must have a fundamental understanding of pipeline engineering and design, procurement, contracting, construction, field operations, and be able to communicate technical issues clearly and concisely to a non-technical audience.
- Must be able to effectively communicate the company's position on adversarial or controversial issues to regulatory agencies or the public. Must speak convincingly regarding all matters of the project and be able to present oneself as a credible spokesperson, especially when dealing with regulatory agencies and the public.
- Must have a basic understanding of contract law and be able to represent the company's interest in dealing with disputes.
- Must possess strong leadership skills and demonstrate good management practices in order to direct, monitor and assist team members, both company employees and outside contractors. Candidate will have indirect reports and outside contractors reporting to him/her requiring strong supervisory and performance management skills.
- Must possess the ability to effectively interact with various departments to maintain open lines of communication. Must clearly and concisely communicate technical and economic concepts with all levels of management in both formal and informal settings. Prepares, edits and approves written communication on technical and non-technical matters for all levels of management. May prepare rate case testimony and/or work papers. Must possess strong negotiation skills to conduct effective contract negotiations with consultants and engineering/ construction firms
- Requires a valid CA driver's license, as travel and overnight stays may be required.
- Candidate may have financial responsibility for major projects estimated at $2,000,000 in value and directly support additional projects in excess of $100,000,000 in value. This includes accountability for the accuracy and updates to project estimates, budgets, cash flow, risks, and ultimate delivery of EBIT to company shareholders.