Southern California Gas Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Software Developer GIS/Work Management Systems
at Southern California Gas Company
Job TitleSr Software Developer GIS/Work Management Systems
Full Time/ Part TimeFull-time
Senior Software Developers are team members and individual contributors to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of business applications, providing specialized technical or business knowledge to the project. Inhabitants of this position are assigned to projects within an assigned business unit or corporate department and utilize a variety of new computing architectures (e.g., client/server, intranet, Web) or mainframe platforms. Under the guidance of a Lead Software Developer, they collaborate with company customers, staff, IT colleagues, and other stakeholders to define detained customer requirements and system interfaces, assess available technologies, and develop and present solutions. Incumbents act as internal consultants, providing technical guidance or business process expertise on the most complex projects or researching strategic planning matters from a technical or business standpoint.
Individuals in this job position are competent to perform or integrate work at a high level within this job family, working at an in-depth level within a technical or business area. While they do not normally have regular project leadership responsibility, incumbents are familiar with project management techniques and may lead projects or subprojects. They have good coaching skills.
The main challenge to Senior Software Developer is to identify causes and implement solutions to business problems in a multifunctional project, assessing and communicating issues of technology impact on the business. They also apply a broad knowledge of various technical functions to accurately anticipate organizational impacts. Incumbents must understand the procedures and expected system performance associated with the introduction of new information technologies, while seeking ways to collaborate with other IT members (the Technology/Business Consultant Group, in particular) to facilitate transitions. They share responsibility with other team members to ensure on-time product delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related discipline (i.e. Geographical Information System), or equivalent work experience and technical training.
- 5 years of senior level experience in business application design, development, installation, and modification in an online environment.
- Experience with structured design, development, and implementation of new computing architectures.
- Experience in the industry or in a production/service environment similar to that of the employer.
- Experience with JSON, XML, Web services, ArcGIS API, ArcGIS runtime SDK, and Python script.
- Experience with developing/implementing following on ESRI ArcGIS platforms:
- Mobile GIS field applications (Windows and IOS devices) using ArcGIS Runtime SDK
- ArcGIS desktop applications using .NET framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Conceptual knowledge of information technologies and methodologies in mainframe, midrange, and PC computing environments desirable, but in-depth experience in one or more is critical.
- Knowledge of project management techniques is required (cross-functional experience is highly desirable)
- Strong technical knowledge, with hands-on experience managing systems development in new computing architectures and environments (e.g., client/server, Web, cloud computing, mobile); knowledge of relevant technology, tools, and middleware is critical, including C/C++, 4GLs, OLE/MS Office, Windows, ODBC, GUIs, RPCs, various RDBMSs, and others.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
- Strong project management skills, operating as part of a team organizing, planning, and executing projects from the envisioning stage through implementation.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to work well on cross-functional project teams and foster team commitment to tasks.