SWCA Environmental Consultants
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Paleontological Field Technician
at SWCA Environmental Consultants
- Requisition Number
- # of Openings
- Office Location
- Hire Type
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is looking for a Paleontological Field Technician to work from our Pasadena, CA office. Your role will be to conduct paleontological resources monitoring and fieldwork for the various projects in Southern California. You should be able to work a typical Monday through Friday schedule intermittently.
What you will accomplish
SWCA paleontological field Technicians assist with field surveys, construction monitoring, excavations, fossil salvages, and other field tasks as needed. We place an emphasis on thorough, accurate and efficient collection and recordation of paleontologic, lithologic and stratigraphic data. Field techs may also be required to assist with laboratory fossil preparation, data entry and management, and data analysis.
Experience and qualifications for success
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Education and professional experience in paleontology - possession of B.S. or B.A. degree with an emphasis in paleontology or geology or demonstrated equivalent experience is required.
- One year experience monitoring in the state of California or geologic province of the specific project.
- Knowledge of basic field geology skills, such as rock descriptions, measuring stratigraphic columns, and recognizing fossils including trace fossils. Monitors must demonstrate proficiency in recognizing various types of fossils, in collection methods, and in other paleontological field techniques.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork for long hours in sometimes inclement weather conditions, including walking up to 10 miles per day often in rugged terrain; must be able to carry various types of field equipment and supplies
- Must have the ability to use excavation tools
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record; and must comply with SWCA safety policies
In addition, the following skills are preferred:
- Fossil preparation and/or museum curation experience.
- Data management and GIS experience.
- Prior experience with paleontological mitigation projects including construction monitoring is highly desirable.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.