Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Public Saftey and Community Justice Coordinator
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Social Services
- Job Type
- Regular Full-Time
The Public Safety and Community Justice Coordinator will assist with the planning and coordination efforts for the implementation of the Byrne Criminal Justice Innovation program in the MacArthur Park area. The Public Safety and Community Justice Coordinator will align these efforts to the Los Angeles Promise Zone public safety strategies. These strategies include, but are not limited to, environmental design approaches to crime prevention, activation of public spaces to build community cohesion, school based public safety and mobility approaches, restorative justice approaches, and wellness initiatives. The Public Safety and Community Justice Coordinator will be responsible for engaging and convening key community stakeholders through formal working groups, managing partnerships with external organizations and public agencies, implementing key programs and strategies, gathering and reporting on public safety data, and increasing awareness of services and programs to community members in order to meet grant outcomes. In addition, the Public Safety and Community Justice Coordinator will support the alignment between these efforts and other complimentary efforts led by external partners. Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Justice through September 30, 2020.
- Coordinate, develop and implement community engagement efforts to develop a public safety plan for the MacArthur Park area and surrounding neighborhood.
- Keep proper documentation of all program convenings, qualitative and quantitative data gathered, and planning efforts and findings.
- Work with the project research partner and YPI’s Research and Evaluation team to coordinate and lead on the ground community surveys, focus groups and other data gathering efforts for a full community assessment.
- Coordinate, and facilitate YPI’s public safety workgroup aligning the Byrne Criminal Justice Innovation grant and the Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood public safety strategies.
- Maintain and strengthen community partnership relationships and serves as liaison with community leaders, community organizations, school leadership, and public agencies and residents to encourage participation and to sustain interest in the project.
- Develop or coordinate fitness and wellness programs and services.
- Works closely with fitness and/or wellness workers, such as fitness instructors,
- recreation workers, nutritionists, and health educators.
- Develop fitness or wellness classes, such as yoga, aerobics, weightlifting, and aquatics,
- ensuring a diversity of class offerings.
- Development of program brochures, flyers and communication documents in partnership with YPI’s Communication team.
- Maintain wellness- and fitness-related schedules, records, or reports.
- Coordinates and/or oversee fitness and/or recreation facilities, ensuring safe and clean
- facilities and equipment.
- Represent YPI at meetings and events as it relates to public safety issues.
- Organize and oversee fitness or wellness events or programs, such as information
- presentations, blood drives, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or first aid training,
- and organized runs or walks.
- Support park Director and other partners with marketing and outreach to families,
- school meetings, and community events.
- Developing, maintaining, and publicizing a schedule of trainings, programs, and activities
- offered at the schools or other community centers.
- Ensure that adequate progress is made towards meeting grant indicators and objectives.
- Have constant communication with program manager as it relates to program progress,
- successes and/or challenges.
- Facilitate parent and student workshops.
- Assist with other program and administrative duties as needed.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university preferred, preferably in urban studies, public policy, community development, kinesiology, recreation, (or comparable), or related public safety field.
- Two to three years of experience in a multi-purpose recreation facility setting preferred.
- Commitment to social and economic justice including community organizing, human rights, community development and empowerment.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and
- instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects of all ages is preferred.
- Superior verbal and written communication ability is a must.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter with willingness to take initiative.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Administer program surveys and assessments; help with program reporting.
- Ability to multi-task, meet strict deadlines and work under time pressure.
- Experience working with individuals of diverse ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong ability in planning, prioritizing, and organizing diverse workload.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel between work sites. If applicable, will berequired to present proof of acceptable driving record (current H6 printout), currentdriver’s license, and proof of liability insurance.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Strong computer skills and a complete knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (TB) prior to beginning
- employment dated within 60 days.